What Goes In and On a Commercial Motor Vehicle

blank image
17 Jul 2019

FMCSA regulates the way a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) is labeled as well as the legibility of the markings.

There are only two items required to be marked on both sides of a CMV operating in interstate commerce, the name of the motor carrier as shown on the MCS-150 filing and the USDOT number following the letters “USDOT.” The markings must stand out against the color of the truck and be legible from 50 feet in the daylight. See Part 390.21.

Here is a helpful guide of licensing and permitting items required to be kept in/on the truck. Originals are not required.

  • Insurance Card
  • Lease Agreement (If applicable)
  • Cab Card (Registration)
  • IFTA License *Including decal on each side of the truck
  • Intrastate Authority
  • …..

Click here to download a FREE white paper with the full list of requirements: What Goes In and On the Truck